This third week has gone miserably. I think I was a vegetarian for 2 days out of the 7 days of the week. There are a few reasons for this though, I promise they're justified. I was lazy, I couldn't do it any longer, and it was too much effort. I understand those are synonymous, but you guys have no idea how long of a process being vegetarian is when you have so much going on. I feel like I wouldn't mind if I had a personal chef or the budget to eat out more often, but that's simply just not how it works in my household. I'm having to shop and cook and it's taking up too much time from my other (what I consider more import) activities.
I'm hoping this next week and for the remainder of this week, I can get my habit back in action as there isn't as much going on. I have more time to find recipes and get the prep work in. As a matter of fact, I was just reading this article, about forming habits and how long it should take. I was relieved to find out Trying to become a vegetarian as a habit has been a challenge. There's just so many good things I'm missing out on when I'm out with friends or trying to eat a quick meal. I find myself saying "F*** it" almost every day at this point. I don't want to spend that extra hour going to the store, prepping, cooking, and then cleaning up a couple of meals.
But the contributions to my carbon footprint should make me want to continue this right? Nooooooooooo. This is WACK. I don't enjoy eating vegetables, tofu, rice, and bread every day. I've basically stopped at this point. I'm vegetarian like 2/7 days of the week at this point. But a big point this article makes is that mistakes are okay to make. I don't know if that counts to the extent of making a mistake every other day, but I'm pushing through. I DO want to reduce my carbon footprint and I think going vegetarian is a good way to go about this.
I mean looking at one of the infographics provided by Bloomberg, I can see that the amount of land used for cows to simply roam is a decent 1/3 of our entire nation. Imagine if everyone picked up a vegetarian diet. So much more of that land could go to solar energy, or more effecient housing.
Idk...choices choices choices.
But being vegetarian is still wack.
Idk...choices choices choices.
But being vegetarian is still wack.
I personally have been vegetarian and this helped me like reduce the carbon in my house.
ReplyDeleteI think that you have tried to change something, that isn't completely in your power. You said in your blog post that you have needed the time it takes to cook, to do other activities that to you are more important. I think that the next time you try to change something, think of something that is more in your power that you are able to control with the flow of your time line during the days.
ReplyDeleteI understand why you feel this way about becoming vegetarian. Its hard to care about it when your so busy. I would recommend maybe trying to cook a ton of vegetarian meals at once and then packaging them. That way you can just have pre set meals throughout the week.
ReplyDeleteI share the same view as you do on trying to be vegetarian. I have personally went two weeks being vegetarian and I also found it time consuming to going to grocery store and prepping meals while also spending more money that I want to. But in the end it's important that we stick through our new habits, we're doing it for the planet right?
ReplyDeleteFrom Oscar
DeleteI may agree that going vegetarian is a good way to reduce your carbon foot print. But if you do not follow your change then you will not help reduce your footprint to induce significant change. Just keep with it, don't give up so soon.
ReplyDeleteI see that trying to change your meal plan can be a very hard task to accomplished. I have realized through your blog post that changing one's diet takes a lot of time and dedication.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to the dedication needed for your impact project. I personally am eating locally produced foods and it takes a lot more effort to eat specific things in order to get the right nutrient. Alike being a vegetarian, especially if your new to it. It can be challenging to adept to the new lifestyle. Similar to our CA's at Summit Sierra High school they are challenging, you need to dedicate your self to pass them.
ReplyDelete